Monday, June 16, 2008

Jonah Goldberg Thinks David Gregory is An Ass

It's not often I agree whole heartedly with Jonah Goldberg, but he's right on here:

Andrea Mitchell would be fine as a caretaker for the role, I suppose. But David Gregory seems like a terrible choice for among other reasons, he's not very likable on TV (Russert's likeability was a huge asset). Keith Olbermann would be a complete disaster, but I assume everyone not sniffing glue knows that. Chris Matthews would require changing the show to "Meet Chris Matthews's Ego." Katie Couric? Come now.

The best choice on the list of possibilities is Chuck Todd. I know Chuck a little, but friendship isn't my motivation. I think he's the only person on the inside track who'd actually consider the show to be more important than his TV career. Russert famously considered himself a "custodian" of MTP. I'd bet that Chuck would hold the same devotion, if not even more intensely. And with the exception of Matthews, Chuck knows more about politics than all of the other contenders combined. 

No comments: